Cyrus Gershom Lansford and Agnes Lucile McCarty

June 25, 1973

Cyrus Gershom Lansford, called Gershom, C. G. and at times "Doc" by his friends, was the fourth of seven children, born in Texas on October 22, 1874, to the union of Enoch Martin [Joyce Austin in an e-mail indicates that his name was actually Martin Eno] and Mary Jane Sanders Lansford, who came to Texas from Georgia in 1874.

Agnes Lucile McCarty is the oldest of eight children born to the union of Dr. William Dawson McCarty and Willie Corinne Moore, who came to Texas from Fannin, Mississippi in November 1886. Lucile was born on October 9, 1883.

Vaulting over a creek at the early age of nine caused a sprain or other injury to the left leg of Gershom and the lack of present day medicines resulted in the necessity for amputation due to progressive infection. A wooden crutch became his left leg from then on since the 4 to 6 inch thigh stub was insufficient to accommodate an artificial prosthesis without experiencing excruciating pain.

Gershom did not allow the loss of this member to hold him back in any manner. He led a full life in all respects and did the work of any normal man with two legs. This was exemplified in many ways and evidenced by the fact the he could do such things as, after drawing water from the well, carry two full buckets at a time. He worked in his garden, in stores, hunted, fished and kept up with his co-workers.

Following the loss of his leg he attended school in Crockett, Texas. This twenty mile round trip, made daily by horseback for four years, failed to daunt his determination to gain an education. Upon graduation from high school, he completed business school in Austin, Texas and attended school in Denton, Texas. He then earned his livelihood by owning, operating and working in grocery stores, working in the Post Office, teaching school and serving as County Treasurer for ten years. This was followed by retirement on his 65 acre farm some 4 miles North of Crockett.

Gershom's dedicated resolve to obtain the hand of Lucile in marriage was personified by numerous actions which occurred over a period of several years and such are brought to light only to preserve their remembrance for future generations.

It was while he was operating his store in Porter Springs that he commenced courting Lucile who was seventeen and an avid horselady at the time. Lucile had ridden horses since she was a very young girl and of course she rode sidesaddle mostly since that was the rage of the day. While riding a large roan horse at the age of thirteen, the horse became frightened and threw her onto a barbed wire fence. A barb from each of the six strands ripped her left leg and while confining her to bed for several weeks, it left her with it's barbed brand for life.

The two obtained their marriage license some twelve months later, in 1902, but Lucile got cold feet and backed out three days before consummation of the vows. As a result they drifted apart so to speak, but several noteworthy events occurred during the next few years.

Needless to say, Gershom was embarrassed by having been "jilted" and he did not relish the idea of anyone bringing up the subject. Dr. McCarty's home in Porter Springs was destroyed by fire in 1902 and it was at this time that the strength which can be attained due to fear or excitement was exhibited. Lucile and her cousin Garner McCarty shoved her piano out of the flaming house on to the porch and lifted up one end to roll it off to the ground. After the fire, it took several men to move this exceptionally heavy treasured antique which is still being played by Lucile in 1973.

Dr. McCarty moved to Grapeland, Texas in 1903, but Lucile continued to visit with girlfriends and relations in Porter Springs and Crockett. When she knew Gershom would not be at home, she would often visit his sister, mother and father. While documentary evidence is non-existent, it seems that a spark of affection must still have been burning in her heart.

As time rolled by Gershom sold his store, taught school and worked in the Crockett Post Office. After a few years, he corresponded with Lucile and by so doing he learned that she was to make a trip to Mississippi in June of 1907. He arranged to board the same train in Crockett, met her in Grapeland and planned to accompany her as far as Palestine but the time passed so rapidly that he rode on to Longview where he debarked and caught a return train to Crockett that night. This meeting was the renewal of their courtship.

On September 21, 1907, Gershom told his boos, Mr. Dawes who was Postmaster, that Lucile was visiting in Crockett and although she didn't know it yet, that he was going to marry her that night - said it was now or never. Anyway, a "croquet" party was scheduled that night at the home of George Lansford and Lucile was visiting George and his wife Eula, her first cousin. Gershom's brother Isaac and his wife were there too. During the evening Gershom asked Lucile to marry him and following acceptance the County Clerk was awakened from this deep sleep to issue the marriage license. It is interesting to note that no charge was made for this license since one was paid for five years previously and not used. While this was going on, Isaac arranged for the Baptist preacher to perform the ceremony and then a horse and buggy quickly transported the young bride and groom to the railway station to catch the night train to Galveston on their honeymoon.

Upon arrival on this vacation Island, Gershom and Lucile ran into their friend John Legory, his wife and Hortense Legory at the Grand Hotel. When Gershom introduced Lucile as his wife, Hortense remarked "your wife, the dickens."

Following their marriage, they lived with George and Eula for a few months until a home of their own could be established. To this union two girls and four boys were born. One of the boys, Chester, passed away at the age of five.

The family lived in Crockett until 1926 when they moved to their farm. Gershom was County Treasurer at that time, but was retired and living on the farm when he passed away on June 15, 1960, and was laid to rest in the Crockett cemetery.

Lucile sold her farm and moved to her newly acquired home in Crockett on August 11, 1961. He oldest daughter, Luella Allbright and oldest son, C. G. Jr. live in Longview, Texas. The youngest daughter, Adina Pruit live in Shreveport, La. and the other two sons, Clarence and Horace live in Fort Worth, Texas.